Report: Hezbollah military wing officially added to EU terror blacklist

EU's Official Journal now includes Hezbollah in list of 11 persons, 25 groups after pressure from Britain, Netherlands.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 26, 2013 14:44
1 minute read.
Hezbollah members rally in Beirut

Hezbollah members rally in Beirut 370. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The EU's Official Journal -- a record of EU decisions and their implementation -- officially added the "Hezbollah Military Wing" to a list of 11 persons and 25 groups deemed to be affiliated with terrorist activity, the Lebanese Daily Star reported on Friday.

According to the Star, analysts warn it may be impossible to distinguish between Hezbollah's military and political wings, in order to implement appropriate sanctions on the terrorist group, but not the political portion.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


To address concerns, ministers reportedly agreed that the blacklisting of Hezbollah would not "affect legitimate financial transfers to Lebanon and the delivery of assistance, including humanitarian assistance," the Official Journal is quoted as saying.

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah said on Wednesday that the decision means the EU will share responsibility for any future Israeli attack on Lebanon, the Star reported.

European Union governments had agreed on Monday to put the armed wing of Hezbollah on the EU terrorism blacklist in a reversal of past policy fueled by concerns over the Lebanese militant movement's activities in Europe.

Britain and the Netherlands have pressed EU peers since May to put the Shi'ite Muslim group's military wing on the bloc's terrorism list, citing evidence it was behind a bus bombing in Bulgaria last year which killed five Israelis and their driver.

Until now, the EU had resisted pressure from Washington and Israel to blacklist Hezbollah, arguing such a move could fuel instability in Lebanon, where the group is part of the government, and add to tensions in the Middle East.



But evidence from Bulgaria about the attack and concerns over Hezbollah's growing involvement in the war in Syria persuaded opponents to back the move, which triggers the freezing of any assets the group's armed wing may hold in the 28-nation EU.

"It is good that the EU has decided to call Hezbollah what it is: a terrorist organization," Dutch Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said on the sidelines of a meeting of EU foreign ministers who decided on the blacklisting.

"We took this important step today, by dealing with the military wing of Hezbollah, freezing its assets, hindering its fundraising and thereby limiting its capacity to act."

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

Syrian forces of President Bashar Assad are seen on al-Haara hill in Quneitra area, Syria
July 18, 2018
Syrian army pounds city of Nawa, causing casualties, residents say

By REUTERS