Report: Mughniyeh's son appointed Hezbollah military commander

'Asharq al-Awsat' reports that Mustafa Mughniyeh will become military chief of organization after previous chief was assassinated last week.

By JPOST.COM STAFF,
May 17, 2016 09:21
2 minute read.
A man reads the Koran in front of a picture depicting top Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine

A man reads the Koran in front of a picture depicting top Hezbollah commander Mustafa Badreddine. (photo credit: AZIZ TAHER/REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hezbollah has appointed Mustafa Mughniyeh military commander following the death of his uncle, Mustafa Badreddine, last weekend in a shelling at Damascus Airport, the London based Asharq al-Awsat reported Tuesday morning.

Mustafa Mughniyeh is the son of Imad Mughniyeh, Hezbollah’s military commander who was assassinated in Syria in 2008 in an operation attributed by foreign media to the Mossad.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The report, based on Lebanese sources, says the 34-yearold Mughniyeh was named to succeed his uncle when Badreddine was serving jail time in Kuwait for involvement in bomb attacks.

Mughniyeh has long remained under-the-radar and has steered clear of media attention. His photos are nearly impossible to come across.

Some believe his identity remained concealed in order to secure his cover in covert Hezbollah operations overseas.

According to the report, Quds Force commander Qassem Soleimani traveled to Beirut following Badreddine’s death to oversee the promotion of Mughniyeh.

Mustafa Mughniyeh’s brother, Jihad, was assassinated in the Syrian Golan in January 2015 in an operation Hezbollah accused Israel of carrying out.



Meanwhile, Hezbollah asked Western journalists not to report that Israel was behind the assassination of Mustafa Badreddine, Hezbollah’s military chief, a prominent French journalist has alleged.

Georges Malbrunot, the Middle East reporter for Le Figaro, wrote on Twitter Saturday: “Hezbollah asked the journalists who asked for its reaction to Baddredine’s liquidation to avoid saying that Israel is involved in the attack.”

“On Friday, I spoke with a diplomat in the Levant who told me the anti-Assad Syrian armed groups do not have the ability to produce such a sophisticated operation even if Israel could resort to use the services of one of these groups,” the French reporter added.

According to Malbrunot, the foreign diplomat told him that “It could be little doubt that the assassination of Badreddine is the continuation of the Israeli liquidations of Hezbollah’s senior leaders.”

A statement released by Hezbollah Friday emphasized Badreddine was assassinated Thursday night near Damascus Airport by an artillery shell fired by a Syrian rebel group.

Although Hezbollah did not accuse Israel of his assassination, during the burial ceremony of Baddreddine on Friday, senior leaders in the organization voiced anti-Israel statements, naming the Syrian rebel groups as the “spearhead of the American-Zionist project in the Middle East.”

The Iranian news agency Fars reported Monday that Gen.

Qassem Suleimani, the head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s Quds Force, payed a condolence visit to Baddredinne’s family in Beirut Sunday.

Related Content

July 18, 2018
Nuclear chief: Iran builds new centrifuge rotor factory

By REUTERS