Saudi deaths in fight with Yemen rebels reach 113

Yemen's Hawthi rebels have been battling their own government since 2004 over neglect and discrimination.

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 21, 2010 14:46
Prince Khaled bin Sultan, right, the Saudi assista

saudi army 311 ap. (photo credit: AP)



A Saudi army commander says his military has lost 113 troops since the kingdom launched a sweeping offensive against Yemen's Shi'ite rebels in November.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Maj. Gen. Ali Zaid al-Khawaji says the dead include a senior Saudi officer. His body was found with those of two other soldiers after a battle last week to drive Yemeni Shiite rebels out of a border village.



The Al Riyadh newspaper reported al-Khawaji's figure on Thursday. It's a significant jump from last week's toll, which stood at 82 dead and 470 wounded.



Yemen's Hawthi rebels have been battling their own government since 2004 over neglect and discrimination. When the rebels crossed the border into Saudi Arabia and killed two border guards in November, the kingdom's military joined the fray.


Related Content

May 28, 2018
China to host Iranian president amid nuclear deal doubt

By REUTERS