Six-year-old lone survivor of Duma firebombing returns to hospital

Ahmad Dawabsha was hospitalized at the Tel HaShomer Medical Center in Tel Aviv this week following a deterioration in his health.

August 11, 2016 12:16
1 minute read.
Ahmad Dawabsha at Shebaa Hospital with cousin

Ahmad Dawabsha at Shebaa Hospital with cousin. (photo credit: NASR DAWABSHA)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Six-year-old Ahmed Dawabsha, the lone survivor of the Duma firebombing, who had only just returned to his village less than three weeks ago after a yearlong hospitalization, was readmitted to the hospital this week after his health deteriorated.

According to his uncle, Nasr Dawabsha, arrived at Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Monday for a routine checkup and to replace the protective vest he wears over his burn scars.

However, after Ahmed began experiencing fever symptoms and vomiting on Tuesday, his family brought him back to the hospital for additional examinations.

Doctors discovered that Ahmed’s intestines and burn scars were inflamed and admitted him to the hospital.

“My family and I are nervous about Ahmed, but we are also optimistic because Ahmed is receiving excellent treatment,” his uncle said. “We hope his health improves soon.”

Nasr, who was not sure whether Ahmed’s current illness is connected to the burn wounds, said Ahmed will be hospitalized for a minimum of four days.

Sheba’s spokeswoman declined to comment to protect Ahmed’s privacy.

Jewish extremists allegedly
firebombed Ahmad’s home in late-July 2015, setting a blaze that killed Ahmed’s parents, Sa’ad and Riham, and his 18-month-old brother Ali.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Hossein Salami, deputy head of Iran's Revolutionary Guard
April 21, 2019
Iran's Ayatollah Khamenei replaces IRGC commander