Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi speaks at an event hosted by Middle East Monitor in London Britain, September 29, 2018. Picture taken September 29, 2018.
(photo credit: MIDDLE EAST MONITOR)
The sons of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was murdered at the consulate in Istanbul a month ago, appealed for the return of their father's body in an exclusive interview with CNN in Washington D.C. on Sunday.
Salah and Abdullah Khashoggi, who described their father as "courageous, generous and very brave," said they have suffered weeks of agony and uncertainty following his disappearance and death.
"I very much hope that what happened to him wasn't painful, or that he had a quick death without suffering," said 33-year-old Abdullah.
"All that we want now is to bury him in Medina with the rest of his family," Salah, 33, said. "I talked about this with the Saudi authorities and I just hope that it will happen soon."
Rouhani claims Saudis couldn't kill Khashoggi without American protection, October 24, 2018 (Reuters)
Khashoggi wrote a column for the Washington Post
that criticized the Saudi government and its de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The Saudi government initially denied Khashoggi had been killed then later said he died in an unplanned "rogue operation." Last week, the kingdom's public prosecutor Saud Al Mojeb said the attack was premeditated
"This case cannot be covered up, and we are expecting close cooperation from Saudi authorities on the investigation we are conducting transparently and meticulously," Gul said.
Istanbul chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan said after talks with Mojeb on Monday and Tuesday that Khashoggi was suffocated in a premeditated killing as soon as he entered the consulate, and his body was then dismembered and disposed of.Reuters contributed to this report.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>