Twin blasts kill more than 40 in Lebanon's Tripoli

Red Cross: At least 500 wounded in explosions outside mosques; locals accuse Assad, Hezbollah of being behind attacks.

By REUTERS, JPOST.COM STAFF
August 23, 2013 18:40
4 minute read.
Lebanese soldier at blast site [file].

Lebanese soldier at blast site 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A recent resurgence of sectarian violence in Lebanon has been stoked by the conflagration in Syria, where President Bashar Assad is fighting a largely Sunni-led rebellion. Both Hezbollah and radical Sunni groups in Lebanon have sent fighters over the border to support opposing sides in Syria.

Medical and security sources said the death toll from Friday's blasts in Tripoli had risen to 42 by late afternoon. Hundreds more were wounded, they said. Earlier, the Lebanese Red Cross said at least 500 people were hurt.

The first explosion hit the Taqwa mosque, frequented by hardline Sunni Islamists, and killed at least 14 people there, according to accounts earlier in the day.

Further deaths were reported from a second blast outside the al-Salam mosque, which the Interior Ministry said was hit by a car laden with 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of explosives.

A Reuters reporter at the scene said the crater from the blast was about four meters (13 feet) wide and 2.5 meters (8 feet) deep and the floors of the mosque were covered in blood. A 50-meter (165-foot) stretch of the road was charred black and the twisted remains of cars littered the area.

"We were just bowing down to pray for the second time and the bomb went off. The air cleared, and I looked around me and saw bodies," said Samir Jadool, 39.

Lebanon's Red Cross said more than 500 people were wounded in the two explosions. Television footage showed people running through the streets, some of them carrying bloodied victims.

Near the Taqwa mosque blast site, angry men toting AK-47 assault rifles took to the streets and fired in the air while other men threw rocks at Lebanese soldiers nearby.

"BEGINNING OF THE STORM"

Video obtained by local news channel LBC showed the moment of the explosion at al-Salam mosque. The blast ripped through a wall of the mosque, showering clouds of dust on people sitting on prayer mats and sending dozens running out of the building.

Lebanese officials called for calm as tensions rose in Tripoli, a Mediterranean port that has seen some of the worst Syria crossover violence. Sunni gunmen have sporadically clashed with fighters from the city's minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam to which the Assad family belongs.

Former internal security chief Ashraf Rifi, whose home was damaged by the second blast, warned that Lebanon was facing a gathering storm of violence.

"We are still in the beginning of the storm and we must remain aware and try to protect this nation," he said, speaking outside his home. "This storm has become a huge, grave danger."

Witnesses at the scene of the blasts said anger was rising among locals, who were shouting out accusations that Assad's government or Hezbollah were behind the attack.

Hezbollah released a statement condemning the Tripoli blasts and expressing solidarity with the victims, saying they were targets of efforts to fan more violence in Lebanon.

"We consider this the completion of an effort to plunge Lebanon into chaos and destruction," the statement said.

Hezbollah's political opponents called on the group to withdraw its forces from Syria in response to Friday's attack.

Lebanese Defense Minister Fayez Ghosn warned against being dragged into deeper sectarian bloodshed. "We are calling for calm and vigilance, because the aim of this (blasts) is to stoke strife between sects," he told LBC.

Former Lebanese prime minister Saad Hariri said those responsible for the deadly twin blasts in the northern city of Tripoli earlier in the day were enemies of the country seeking strife and destruction, The Daily Star reported.

"People of strife targeted Tripoli again to plant death at the doorsteps of mosques and [kill] worshipers for one desire only, which is the desire of Lebanon's enemy: to have strife and destruction be part of daily life for Lebanese,” the Daily Star quoted Hariri as saying.

The southern suburb of Beirut dominated by Hezbollah has been hit by two car bombs in just over a month. Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah blamed radical Sunni Islamists.

Salem al-Rafei, chief cleric of the Taqwa mosque, is a staunch supporter of Syrian Sunni rebels as well as Lebanese Sunni militants who have joined the anti-Assad battle in Syria.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A police officer in plainclothes collects the evidence from the site of a suicide blast at the premi
July 21, 2019
Female suicide bomber blows up hospital in Pakistan, killing 9

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings