Top PA officer sent to prison for assaulting a Ramallah family

Said Ahmed worked as head of the bureau of Tayeb Abdel Rahim, the secretary-general of the PA presidency.

December 24, 2013 01:52
1 minute read.
Members of the Palestinian security forces.

Palestinian security forces 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Palestinian Authority court on Monday sentenced a top PA security officer to three-and-a-half years in prison after finding him guilty of assaulting and threatening a family in Ramallah. The court also ordered the dismissal of the officer, Said Ahmed, from the PA security forces.

Ahmed worked as head of the bureau of Tayeb Abdel Rahim, the secretary-general of the PA presidency.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Abdel Rahim is considered one of the most influential PA officials in the West Bank.

Ahmed was arrested three months ago after he forced his way into the family’s house together with three gunmen after midnight. The senior PA official claimed the family’s 13-year-old son had threatened his own son.

“When I opened the door, I saw Ahmed and three armed men,” recalled Um Baha, the mother of the boy who was targeted. “They threatened my daughter with a handgun as Ahmed started searching for my son inside the house. My son escaped to his room, but Ahmed chased him and tried to break the door. Then he opened fire inside the house.”

Neighbors who rushed to the scene tried to talk Ahmed and his friends into leaving the house, but to no avail.

PA policemen also arrived at the scene and tried to negotiate with Ahmed to surrender. In response, Ahmed and his friends opened fire at the policemen from inside the house.

Ahmed surrendered four hours later when his boss, Abdel Rahim, arrived at the scene and asked him to walk out.

No one was hurt in the incident, which drew sharp condemnations from Palestinians in Ramallah.

Gen. Adnan Damiri, spokesman for the PA security forces, told the Ramallah- based Wattan TV that the court’s verdict shows that no Palestinian official is above the law.

Related Content

A general view of Kabul January 31, 2010.
August 17, 2018
Afghan president congratulates armed forces for Ghazni victory