Tunisia cancels Jewish pilgrimage for first time

Exclusive: Amid security fears, annual Lag Ba'Omer journey to Tunisian island of Jerba is called off; border with Libya main concern.

By GIL STERN STERN SHEFLER
May 15, 2011 18:31
2 minute read.
The El Ghriba synagogue in Tunisia

The El Ghriba synagogue in Tunisia 311 (R). (photo credit: Mohamed Hammi / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

The annual Lag Ba’omer pilgrimage to the island of Jerba in Tunisia has been officially canceled for the first time ever due to security concerns, a Tunisian Jewish leader told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.

Roger Bismuth, the president of the Jewish community, said the event, which was set to take place at the El Ghriba synagogue next Sunday and usually attracts thousands of Jews from around the world, was called off five days ago after consultations with the government.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Tunisian unrest may dampen Lag Ba'Omer pilgrimage
Lag Ba'Omer postponed out of concern for Sabbath


“We have this fight at the Tunisian border with Libya so the situation is not as we like,” Bismuth said over the phone from Tunis.

“Besides that, we have had a revolution. The situation is not completely quiet yet so we took precautionary measures.”

The former state senator and leader of the Jewish community said the celebratory event has been held on the island every year, even when relations between Israel and Tunisia were at their lowest ebb.

“It is the first time ever we canceled,” he said. “It has nothing to do with the relations with Israel. We just don’t want to create problems for our visitors.”



Last January, local demonstrators overthrew longtime Tunisian dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in an uprising which inspired similar protests against autocratic rulers in countries throughout the Arab world.

Since then, the government has struggled to fully reestablish the rule of law and fears have risen that Islamists might take advantage of the situation to launch attacks on the country’s 1,500 Jews as they have in the past. In 2002, for instance, Al-Qaida planted a bomb in El Ghriba which killed 21 people.

So far, with the exception of an incident involving a group of Islamic protesters hurling insults at worshipers at a synagogue in Tunis and the burning of a makeshift Jewish place of worship in the south, Tunisia’s Jews have been spared from any violence.

The political situation in the country, however, remains precarious, leading to the decision to cancel the annual celebration.

Bismuth said he believed the annual gathering, which commemorates the temporary victory of Jewish rebels over the Romans, would resume next year.

“Tunisia is always open to everybody, but this year we decided to cancel because we want people to be safe,” Bismuth said.

“Hopefully, we should finish the revolution by next year, but it’s not a small revolution; it’s a big revolution and it’s the first time we’ve had one in our country.”


Related Content

Smoke rises from al-Harak town, as seen from Deraa countryside, Syria June 25, 2018.
June 25, 2018
Syrian military bombs Deraa, extending assault in southwest

By REUTERS