'Turkey asks for names of 'Mavi Marmara' raid soldiers'

Report says Istanbul prosecutors sent letter demanding that Israel give the identities of those responsible for fatal flotilla raid.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 14, 2011 11:20
1 minute read.
The 'Mavi Marmara'

The 'Mavi Marmara' 311 (R). (photo credit: Reuters/Emrah Dalkaya)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Turkey submitted a letter to the government last week asking for the names of the Israel Navy sailors involved in last year’s raid on the Mavi Marmara protest ship that left nine Turks dead, the Istanbul-based paper Zaman reported on Friday.

In a two-page letter, the Istanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office sent the request as part of an ongoing court case investigating the May 31 flotilla raid, the report said.

RELATED:
Turkish FM warns Israel not to repeat flotilla 'mistake'
Lieberman to discuss upcoming flotilla in Cyprus meeting


Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The Prosecutor’s Office demanded the names and contact details of IDF soldiers and officers who were involved in the raid. It also demanded an official copy of information and documents related to the incident.

On Wednesday, a bipartisan group of members of Congress sent a letter appealing to the Turkish government to prevent a second flotilla from sailing to Gaza next month.

“We write today to express our serious concern over reports that the so-called Free Gaza Movement and the IHH are planning to send another flotilla to Gaza in the coming weeks to provoke a confrontation with Israel,” the legislators wrote.

“We ask you to help discourage these efforts and work with the Israeli government in a productive way as it continues to allow legitimate aid, but not weapons, to enter Gaza.”

The letter continued: “Israel, like any country in the world, must take whatever steps necessary to protect its citizens, and that starts with preventing additional weapons from entering Gaza.



If flotilla organizers carry out their confrontational plans, the Israelis will have little choice but to board the vessels and search for weapons.”

Hilary Leila Krieger contributed to this report.

Related Content

Hassan Nasrallah
August 19, 2018
Houthi rebels meet with Hezbollah's Hassan Nasrallah

By ANNA AHRONHEIM