Kuwaiti Information Minister Sheikh Salman al-Humoud al-Sabah (C) consoles worshipers outside the Imam Sadiq Mosque after a suicide bomb attack following Friday prayers.
(photo credit: REUTERS)
A suicide bomber killed 25 people when he blew himself up inside a packed Shi'ite Muslim mosque in Kuwait city during Friday prayers, the interior ministry said, the first attack of its kind in the major oil-exporting country.
The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, which also wounded 202 people according to the interior ministry, in the district of Sawaber in the eastern part of the Kuwaiti capital.
Parliament member Khalil al-Salih, who was at the mosque when the attack occurred, said worshipers were kneeling in prayer when the bomber walked into the Imam al-Sadeq Mosque and detonated his explosives, destroying walls and the ceiling.
"It was obvious from the suicide bomber's body that he was young. He walked into the prayer hall during sujood
(kneeling in prayer). He looked ...in his 20s, I saw him with my own eyes," he told Reuters by telephone.
"The explosion was really hard. The ceiling and wall got destroyed," he said, adding that more than 2,000 people from the Shi'ite Ja'afari sect were praying at the mosque.
Security forces quickly sealed off the perimeter of the mosque while rescue workers carried the wounded to hospital.
Islamic State named the bomber as Abu Suleiman al-Muwahed and said in a statement posted on social media that he had targeted a "temple of the rejectionists" - a term it generally uses to refer to Shi'ites, whom it regards as heretics.
Shi'ites comprise between 15 and 30 percent of the predominantly Sunni Muslim Gulf Arab state, where members of both communities are known to live side by side with little apparent friction.
Islamic State had urged its followers on Tuesday to step up attacks during the Ramadan fasting month against Christians, Shi'ites and Sunni Muslims fighting with a US-led coalition against the ultra-hardline jihadist group.
Also on Friday, a gunman killed 28 people including foreign tourists in a beach resort in Tunisia. No one immediately claimed responsibility, but Islamist militants have previously targeted tourist sites in Tunisia and elsewhere in North Africa.
The Health Ministry said Kuwait's blood bank had opened additional centers to receive blood donations and it urged citizens with non-urgent medical needs to avoid the emergency units.
Pictures posted on social media and Kuwaiti news websites showed men in traditional white robes smeared with blood outside the mosque. A second photo showed a row of victims wrapped in white body bags and a third the collapsed ceiling of the mosque.
The Interior Ministry told citizens to stay away from the scene to allow authorities to investigate.
Kuwaiti television showed footage of the emir, Sheik Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah, visiting the damaged mosque.
Prime Minister Sheik Jaber al-Mubarak al-Sabah, who visited the wounded at the Emiri Hospital, condemned the bombing as an attempt to jeopardize Kuwait's national unity.
"This incident targets our internal front, our national unity," Sheik Jaber told Reuters outside the hospital. "But this is too difficult for them and we are much stronger than that."
Islamic State has recently twice targeted Shi'ite mosques in neighboring Saudi Arabia and carried out attacks against members of the sect's Zaydi branch in Yemen.
Kuwait recently approved legislation allowing for security cameras to be placed at public places.
Yaqoub Al-Sanea, the minister of justice, religious endowments and Islamic affairs, said that despite Friday's attack, "Kuwait will remain an oasis of security for all groups of Kuwaiti society and all sects. The government is taking many procedures to protect prayers and mosques."