Two Shuafat men sentenced for killing US citizen in 2006

The men confessed in a plea bargain to killing US Consulate employee, 54, in the process of stealing his car.

May 30, 2011 03:15
1 minute read.
Tel Aviv skyline

Tel Aviv skyline 521. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Tel Aviv District Court sentenced two Shuafat men to 19 and 20 years in prison for the 2006 killing of an American citizen in Tel Aviv.

The men, Mustafa Awad and Issa Sarchan, confessed in a plea bargain to killing the man, a 54-year-old employee of the US Consulate identified only as KM, in the process of stealing his car, and were convicted of manslaughter in November.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

2 dead, 1 injured after shooting in Shuafat refugee camp
Two Arab-Israeli Electric Corporation employees stabbed in Shuafat

According to the ruling, the two entered KM’s car on the night of July 27, 2006 for unknown reasons, near the Tel Aviv Central Bus Station. Shortly afterward they exited the car and exchanged words with the man, after which they pushed him to the ground and began beating and kicking him all over his body. The beating caused KM severe brain damage and led to his death.

The men later took the car to Bethlehem, where they left it to be sold for parts.

They were arrested in August when the police found Awad residing in Israel under a fake name, using someone else’s residence permit.

The panel of judges, led by Sara Dotan, ruled that the men were guilty of manslaughter despite the fact that the crime was not premeditated and even though it was not established that the man was dead when the two left the scene of the beating.

“Even if the deceased was dying when the accused left the spot, and had yet to perish, it would not be enough to ease their punishment – since they, with their own hands and with bestial violence, sentenced him, a man who could be the same age as their fathers, to hours of anguish,” said Dotan.

Both men were also ordered to compensate the victim’s family with NIS 60,000 each.

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Sources close to Netanyahu: Trump knew the Iran nuclear deal was bad