'Two kidnapped Britons in Egypt's Sinai freed'

Bedouin gunman kidnapped British couple in Ras es-Sidr to press for the release of prisoners held for arms smuggling.

By REUTERS
March 7, 2013 15:58
1 minute read.
Tourists cross the Egypt-Israel Taba border

Tourists cross the Egypt-Israel Taba border crossing 370 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The two British tourists that were kidnapped by Bedouin gunmen in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula on Thursday were freed, BBC News reported.

The tribesmen reportedly kidnapped the British couple, that were headed for a beach resort, to press for the release of prisoners held for arms smuggling, security and tribal sources said.

Security in the isolated desert region has deteriorated since the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak in a popular uprising two years ago. Tourists kidnapped in similar circumstances last year were released unharmed.

The Britons were heading in a private car from Cairo to Sharm El Sheikh, a popular tourist resort, and had stopped to change money in Ras es-Sidr when they were kidnapped by the tribesmen, the sources said.

The kidnappers were demanding the release of four prisoners held in Alexandria on charges of arms smuggling, the sources added. South Sinai's Red Sea coast is a major tourism area for Egypt.

Several other tourists have been held briefly by tribesmen in recent months and released unharmed, often after less than a few hours of negotiations with authorities.

Bedouin have attacked police stations, blocked access to towns and taken hostages to show their discontent with what they see as their poor treatment by Cairo and to press for the release of jailed kinsmen.

Two American women were kidnapped in Sinai in February last year but Egyptian authorities negotiated their release a few hours later.

Two other US tourists were kidnapped in late May that year, and then two more US tourists in July. The captives were released within days in both incidents.

On Wednesday, the National Security Council’s counterterrorism bureau warned Israelis of traveling to the Sinai Peninsula during the Passover break, due to a plethora of intelligence leads pointing to kidnapping plots and terrorist threats against Israelis.

Yaakov Lappin and JPost.com staff contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

A police officer in plainclothes collects the evidence from the site of a suicide blast at the premi
July 21, 2019
Female suicide bomber blows up hospital in Pakistan, killing 9

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings