UN rights chief calls for investigation into Syria massacre

Rights group accuses insurgent forces of killing 123 people; posted YouTube video shows bodies piled up against a wall.

By REUTERS
August 2, 2013 18:56
1 minute read.
An injured child from what activists said was an attack from Assad forces.

injured syrian kid 370. (photo credit: REUTERS)

GENEVA - UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said on Friday she wanted an independent investigation into an apparent massacre carried out by Syrian opposition forces in the town of Khan al-Assal.

"Based on the analysis by my team to date, we believe armed opposition groups in one incident - documented by a video - executed at least 30 individuals, the majority of whom appeared to be soldiers," she said in a statement issued by her office.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Syrian state media have accused insurgents of killing 123 people, mainly civilians, during a rebel offensive in Aleppo province late last month.

A group calling itself the Supporters of the Islamic Caliphate posted a video on YouTube of around 30 bodies of young men piled up against a wall. It said they were militiamen who had supported President Bashar Assad.

Over 100,000 people have died in Syria's civil war. In the early months of the conflict Assad's forces were blamed for the documented human rights abuses, but the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria now says both sides have committed atrocities.

Click for full JPost coverage

"Opposition forces should not think they are immune from prosecution. They must adhere to their responsibilities under international law," Pillay said.

Pillay's office said its team in the region was continuing to investigate the circumstances and scope of the killings, and it had information from a reliable source that opposition fighters were still holding government officers and soldiers captured in Khan al-Assal.

The town is one of three sites due to be visited by another group of UN investigators, who are trying to find the truth about allegations that chemical weapons have been used in the conflict.


Related Content

French President Emmanuel Macron toasts US President Donald Trump during a State Dinner.
April 26, 2018
Macron predicts Trump will exit the Iran deal

By MICHAEL WILNER

Israel Weather
  • 15 - 23
    Beer Sheva
    17 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 18
    Jerusalem
    15 - 21
    Haifa
  • 19 - 27
    Elat
    16 - 27
    Tiberias