Yemen government says 32 killed in air strike, disputing UN toll

UN resident coordinator Jamie McGoldrick said on Thursday the 56 were among 109 civilians killed in Saudi-led strikes in the previous 10 days.

By REUTERS
December 29, 2017 19:12
1 minute read.
Yemen government says 32 killed in air strike, disputing UN toll

Saudi army artillery fire shells towards Houthi positions from the Saudi border with Yemen April 13, 2015. . (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Officials in Yemen's mostly Saudi-based government said 32 civilians were killed in a Saudi-led coalition air strike on a market in the Taiz region earlier this week, disputing a UN death toll of 56.

UN resident coordinator Jamie McGoldrick said on Thursday the 56 were among 109 civilians killed in Saudi-led strikes in the previous 10 days and he condemned as "futile" the nearly three years of war in the poorest Arab country.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


It pits Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi movement against the internationally recognized government backed by the Saudi-led alliance, which has carried out thousands of air strikes to roll back the Houthis and fend off perceived expansion by arch-foe Iran.

But the government officials, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said Tuesday's attack on the crowded market in Al Hayma sub-district of Attazziah in Taiz governorate appeared to target a Houthi military vehicle.

"A Houthi military truck passed through the market 10 minutes before the bombing ..., 32 people were killed and 25 injured," one official said, providing 30 of their names.

He added that the market was closed at the time, but an unusual number of people had gathered there to survey the damage from an air strike the night before that had also targeted a passing military vehicle.

The United Nations says the coalition campaign has killed hundreds of civilians. But a body set up by the alliance has set up its own investigating committee, which has disputed UN casualty counting methods and largely attributed deadly strikes to the presence of Houthi combatants in targeted areas.



"This statement creates a continuous state of doubt about the information and data used by the United Nations, and challenges its credibility," a coalition spokesman said in the wake of the UN statement.

Related Content

Palestinians take part in a protest calling on Hamas and Fatah factions to conclude the reconciliati
August 14, 2018
Egypt summons Palestinian groups for Israeli truce, unity talks

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH