18 years for terrorist who wounded eight in Tel Aviv

Zofan, 21, was convicted of attempted murder, injury with serious intent, robbery, illegal residency, conspiracy to commit a crime.

July 20, 2012 04:21
1 minute read.
Policemen inspect scene of Tel Aviv terror attack

Tel Aviv terror attack 311. (photo credit: REUTERS/ Nir Elias)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A Kalkilya man who left eight people wounded in an attack near a south Tel Aviv nightclub will go to prison for 18 years, the Tel Aviv District Court ruled on Thursday.

Muhammad Bin Said Zofan, 21, was convicted of attempted murder, injury with serious intent, robbery, illegal residency and conspiracy to commit a crime.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Last August, Zofan carjacked a taxi at knife-point and rammed it into Border Police officers Or Hakim and Albert Sabah and a civilian bystander, Itay Weinberg, before going on a stabbing spree.

Zofan shouted, “Allahu Akbar!” (God is great) as he swerved into border policemen outside the Ha’oman 17 night club on Salameh Street. He went on to brutally stab a club security guard before the manager, Yitzhak Assaraf, and two other security guards, Oleg Chritov and Grigory Sokolov, managed to subdue him. The struggle left the three men wounded.

Zofan’s defense counsel argued that the court should take into account when passing sentence that the 23-year-old had not belonged to any Palestinian terror group and that he had admitted to the charges.

Judges Sarah Dotan, Shaul Shohet and Daphna Avnieli said Zofan had tried to explain his motives to the court but had refused to express any remorse.

Immediately before the attack, the Kalkilya native had been living in the country illegally, making a living by doing odd jobs, and sleeping in an abandoned apartment next to the Siksik mosque in Jaffa.


The indictment said he and another man, Muhammad Biari, had plotted to commit several other attacks against Jewish civilians and Israeli security forces.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night