35 years for Gazan who fired rockets into Israel

Mohammed Mehera joined military wing of the Palestinian Popular Resistance Committees, involved in killing of IDF soldier.

July 16, 2012 11:31
1 minute read.
PRC terrorists at Gaza press conference

PRC terrorists at Gaza press conference 311 (R). (photo credit: Reuters)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A Gazan terror group operative who carried out a string of terrorist offenses against Israel will go to prison for 35 years, the Beersheba District Court ruled on Monday.

According to the indictment, 30-year-old Mohammed Mehera from Jabalya in Gaza joined the al-Nasser Salah al-Din Brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian Popular Resistance Committees, in 2003.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Mehera planted explosives against IDF forces, fired rockets into Israel and transferred information about IDF forces, which his operators used to carry out a 2004 terror attack that killed IDF soldier St. Sgt. Gilad Fisher and wounded three others.

Fisher, 22, was killed on September 30, 2004, when Hamas terrorists attacked an IDF lookout post east of Beit Hanun in Gaza.

The indictment said Mehera agreed to participate in the attack after meeting a Hamas activist, known as Massoud, in 2004. Massoud took Mehera to the house of another Hamas man, Ayman, where Mehera agreed to undertake a surveillance mission on an IDF outpost and scope out possible locations for suicide bombers.

In mid-September 2004, Mehera passed the information he gathered back to Ayman and Massoud, who used it to plan a terror attack.

Two weeks later, two Hamas suicide bombers attacked the IDF lookout post, killing Fisher and wounding three other soldiers, one of whom suffered permanent lower-body paralysis as a result of the attack.

Mehera also fired rockets into Israel in 2005 from al-Atatra in northern Gaza. He and other operatives from al-Nasser Salah al-Din Brigades placed the rockets in a vineyard and aimed them at Israel before using a timing mechanism to launch them.

The offenses for which Mehera is convicted include membership and activity in a terror group, conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, contact with a foreign agent and providing information to the enemy.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night