(photo credit: Ben Hartman)
A 74-year-old man died Friday afternoon in a fire that broke out in his house in Yeruham in southern Israel.
Around 5:30 p.m., neighbors first noticed the blaze when they saw fire rising out of the house and informed the authorities.
A Magen David Adom team received word of the fire, and
rescue forces that arrived on the scene located the man's body.
investigators arrived on the scene to investigate what started the
blaze. The circumstances behind the fire were still unknown, though
according to Army Radio Dimona police did not suspect criminal activity.
Police are investigating the possibility that the man fell asleep with a
burning cigarette in his hand once his caretaker left the room.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>