Archeologist’s assertion of unearthing legendary Jerusalem citadel met with skepticism

Critics: Evidence insufficient to support such a monumental finding.

By
May 8, 2014 06:24
1 minute read.
Aerial view over Jerusalem's Tower of David.

Jerusalem aerial view David Citadel 370. (photo credit: Library of Congress)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Claims by Israeli archaeologist Eli Shukron that he found the legendary citadel captured by King David during his conquest of Jerusalem in the 10th century BCE have been met with skepticism due to a pronounced lack of evidence.

According to Shukron, the citadel’s alleged ruins first emerged in 1995 when his team unearthed a 3,800-year-old fortress built of fiveton stones in the east Jerusalem village of Silwan. The archeologist, who recently left the Israel Antiquities Authority to work as a lecturer and tour guide, said he excavated the site – built 800 years before King David is believed to have captured it – for nearly two decades and was confident of his claim.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“This is the citadel of King David; this is the Citadel of Zion, and this is what King David took from the Jebusites,” he told the Associated Press. “We can compare the whole site to the Bible perfectly.”

However, over the years a number of archeologists have made similar claims that were discounted due to a lack of evidence, compounded by the assertion that political and religious beliefs may have hindered their scientific methods.

Moreover, Shukron’s onetime collaborator at the site, Ronny Reich, said far more evidence should have been discovered from the 10th century BCE, during King David’s reign, to support the claim.

Shukron said he has unearthed only two shards of clay that date anywhere near that time.

Reich said it was not possible to reach definitive conclusions about biblical connections without more direct archaeological evidence.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The multi-million dollar excavation, funded by Elad, which settles Jews in homes in Arab areas of east Jerusalem to prevent the city from being divided, was made accessible to tourists last month.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD