Charge: Eritrean raped and beat 83-yr-old for hours

Man allegedly raped victim repeatedly, striking her and causing severe bodily trauma; victim hospitalized for 1 week after attack.

January 3, 2013 13:16
2 minute read.
Eritrean rape suspect at TA court

Eritrean rape suspect at TA court 370. (photo credit: Hadas Parush)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Tel Aviv State Attorney's Office on Thursday indicted a 19-year-old Eritrean man suspected of repeatedly beating and raping an 83-year-old woman for nearly three hours two weeks ago in Tel Aviv.

The indictment includes charges of aggravated rape and assault, and aggravated sodomy.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The indictment details a graphic, horrifying tale of sexual sadism carried out in broad daylight on a Friday morning near the central bus station in Tel Aviv. The indictment tells how the suspect jumped the fence of the woman's building and entered her backyard, where he tackled her and threw her onto a mattress, and proceeded to rape her.

According to prosecutors, the woman began to scream and beg for her life, and in response the suspect struck her repeatedly, causing her severe bruising.

"The suspect did not relent, and continued to rape the complainant again and again, cruelly using severe and merciless violence while ignoring her pleas for mercy,” the indictment reads.

The indictment says that the man finally left the scene when relatives of the woman happened to arrive at the house to visit her, causing him to flee the scene.

The victim suffered severe emotional and physical trauma, including heavy bruises and bleeding, as well as internal fractures and lacerations that required a week of hospitalization.


Police announced the incident on Monday, after a media blackout of the case was lifted. Police said they were able to find the assailant a few days after the rape, and on Monday morning he was brought to the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court, where his remand was extended by four days.

There is a still a gag order on the identity of the man, who is 19 years old and is listed as having no permanent address.

The indictment says the evidence against the defendant includes DNA samples taken from inside the victim's body, as well as testimony from the victim and her relatives identifying him as the culprit. The man has not cooperated with police, but told them that he was severely drunk at the time of the incident and does not remember anything that happened that day. The indictment says he also reported that the suspect said that because he was drunk it could be that he committed the crime and does not remember.

The courtyard where the rape happened is in a street near the central bus station that has long been a haunt of drug dealers and their customers, prostitutes, and these days, large numbers of African migrants and foreign workers from Asia.

A few hours after the rape case was publicized, Strong Israel MK Michael Ben-Ari announced plans to hold a protest march from his party office on Hagana Street toward the central bus station.

By 6:30 p.m., around 150 people were marching down Hagana Street chanting “Sudanese to Sudan” and “Bibi [Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu], go home”, before gathering for a rally outside the bus station.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night