Klal building, Jerusalem, shooting,.
(photo credit: isrphoto)
The Jerusalem District Attorney’s Office filed an indictment with the Jerusalem
District Court on Thursday against Tadesse Getahon, who is accused of shooting
and killing lawyers Natan and Yamit Jorno in their family-owned law office in
the capital’s Clal Building last month.
The 50-year-old Getahon, a
disgruntled security guard from Ma’aleh Adumim, was allegedly upset about a
financial dispute with Natan Jorno, said the indictment.
Israel Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld, Getahon – who worked as a private
security guard in a nearby building – carried out the July 23 murders alone at
approximately 10 a.m.
Yamit Jorno, 26, was working at the firm of her
father, Natan, 56, to secure the final accreditation for practicing
In June 2012, Getahon requested that Natan represent him in a
divorce proceeding before the Jerusalem Rabbinical Court, said the
The indictment said that in exchange for his services, Jorno
and Getahon had signed a retainer agreement to pay the lawyer NIS 20,000.
Getahon paid NIS 10,000 upon signing the agreement and another NIS 1,600 on July
25, 2012, and he was due to pay the rest of the bill at the end of the case, the
On November 29, 2012, it continued, Getahon came to
complain to Jorno about his managing of the case, claimed that he was
cooperating with his wife’s lawyer, told him to stop representing him and asked
for his money back.
Getahon began screaming at Jorno, banged on a table
and threatened him, saying, “This is your end,” the indictment
It stated that Jorno had responded by asking Getahon to leave,
but that Getahon had refused to do so until Jorno called the police; after their
arrival, Getahon left.
On December 12, Jorno sent Getahon a letter saying
that he would no longer represent him, as per his request, according to the
On December 23, Getahon sent a letter to the Israel Bar
Association (IBA) to complain about Jorno’s managing of the case and asking for
its assistance in getting his money returned, the indictment said.
IBA responded on May 28, 2013, stating that the complaint had been closed since
it had found no misconduct on Jorno’s part, the indictment continued.
indictment noted that on two other occasions, Getahon had come to Jorno’s
offices demanding that his money be returned, but Jorno had refused.
July 23, the indictment said, Getahon entered Jorno’s office at around 9:30
a.m., shot him several times in one room and then shot Yamit several times in
another room, killing both of them.
According to Rosenfeld, he was
arrested by an off-duty policeman and an active officer who were in the
building, and he did not resist arrest.
Daniel K. Eisenbud contributed to
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>