Cook at Aroma cafe allegedly poisons co-worker

Suspect puts degreasing chemical on victim's salad after disput between the two, police say; man remanded to custody.

May 2, 2013 18:39
1 minute read.
Coffee cup

Coffee cup 521. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A cook at a branch of the Aroma national cafe chain poisoned a co-worker’s food, following a dispute between the two, Tel Aviv police reported on Thursday.

According to police, the 20- year-old cook sprayed a degreasing chemical on a salad that the co-worker took home at the end of her shift. After she got home and ate the salad she began to feel ill and checked into a hospital, where her stomach was pumped and she was discharged to her home.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

On Wednesday, detectives from the Dan sub-district arrested the a cook, and on Thursday his remand was extended by the Tel Aviv District Court by five days. The man had originally been released on house arrest by the local magistrate’s court, until police appealed the decision to the district court.

Police said Thursday they believe the incident followed a dispute at work between the two employees, after which the man poisoned her food, an act that was reportedly caught on surveillance cameras in the restaurant’s kitchen. The man confessed to the crime to investigators, but denied that he had any dangerous intentions.

In a statement released on Thursday, Aroma Israel said, “This incident involved a personal dispute between two workers and the moment that our suspicion was raised, we contacted the police.”

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night