Court upholds conviction of police officers who left Palestinian to die

The Palestinian, Abu Jariban, was injured in a car accident on May 28, 2008, while driving a stolen car. He was in Israel illegally.

February 25, 2014 02:47
1 minute read.
Police on the scene of the explosion in Bat Yam.

cops on scene 370. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Jerusalem District Court on Monday upheld the conviction of two police officers for the negligent homicide of an injured Palestinian man who they left by the roadside to die in 2008, while reducing their prison sentence from 30 months to 21 months.

The Palestinian, Abu Jariban, was injured in a car accident on May 28, 2008, while driving a stolen car. He was in Israel illegally.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In July 2012, the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court first convicted the two police officers, Baruch Peretz and Assaf Yakutieli, of negligent homicide for leaving Jariban to die.

Jariban was hospitalized at Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, after which he was released into police custody.

But he still required medical attention and rehabilitation.

Although there was an attempt to admit Jariban to a Prisons Service medical facility, since the facility was full, the officers decided to leave him by the roadside.

Peretz and Yakutiela appealed the magistrate’s court ruling to the higher level district court, which while it rejected their claims for acquittal, said that their prison sentence was overly severe.

The district court said that the maximum theoretical sentence for such negligent homicide was 36 months, but that the typical sentences actually being handed down were much less, making 21 months more in-line with standard practice.

When the magistrate’s court handed down its 30 months sentence, it had recognized that the sentence was more severe than average, but had justified it by calling the policemen’s behavior particularly problematic.

Also in September 2012, the state agreed to pay NIS 875,000 in compensation to Jariban’s family in the name of the two police officers and that of the medical center.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night