Eyal Golan's father to remain in custody in sex crimes case, judge rules

An employee of the singer also to remain in custody; more witnesses being interviewed; victim central to case still missing.

November 24, 2013 13:52
1 minute read.
Eyal Golan

Eyal Golan. (photo credit: Hadad Eliran)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Singer Eyal Golan’s father and an employee of his were on Sunday ordered to remain in police custody an additional four days, as police work on the case against them, involving allegations of sex crimes with underage girls.

During the hearing a police representative said that suspect Tzahi Asulin knew the age of one of the complainants, a 17-year-old girl, because she is a relative of his. Police also said that there are other witnesses who linked him to using drugs with minors, including a girl younger than 16.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In terms of Dani Biton, Golan’s 61-year-old father, police said that at least one underage girl said that she had sex with him, and that he is also suspected of giving her money and gifts. In regards to the claim that the girls worked in prostitution before Biton met them, the police officer present said that investigators had already heard that claim from Biton. The lawyer asked if police had investigated the Tel Aviv strip club where two of the girls allegedly worked, to which he said they had not.

At the end of the hearing Judge Shmuel Melamed ordered both suspects kept in custody for four days, but ruled that at the end of the four days both would be set free to house arrest. They both had to post bond and agree to make no contact with any of the complainants or to leave the country for 180 days.

Tzion Amir, one of Tzahi Asulin’s attorneys said that “the judge highlighted in his ruling the over-enthusiasm of the police. It’s true they extended the remand by a few days in order to finish the investigation, but the judge also ruled today that they will be released. I am sure that the case is getting back to its proportions, at least for the suspect I represent.”

Police said Sunday that they have still not found the 15-year-old girl central to the case who ran away from home late Thursday night. They added that they do not believe she is danger, and that she fled because her parents wanted to put her in a boarding school beginning this week.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night