Football team chases down TA assassin

After deadly shooting, players practicing nearby help apprehend suspect.

September 4, 2011 05:38
1 minute read.
[illustrative photo]

Police car in Tel Aviv at night 311. (photo credit: Yoni Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


An armed criminal assassin who shot dead two men in their 40s in northern Tel Aviv on Thursday night was chased down by members of the Cyber Tel Aviv American Football team and a basketball player who were practicing nearby, leading to his apprehension by police.

The shooting took outside the Gadot hall, near the Sportek facility, which is often filled with people playing a variety of sports.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The victims were invited to an event held by a relative and were standing outside the venue when they were shot.

Police said a gunman was seen arriving and opening fire at two men.

The double homicide was likely the result of a criminal feud, police added.

After hearing the shots, a basketball player who was nearby chased after the gunman. He was quickly joined by a number of players from the football team.

The players later said they initially suspected the shots were fire crackers, before seeing a basketball player chase a man and hearing others members of the public shouting “murderer!” The players chased the gunman down a road that had a dead end, where the suspect turned around and fired on them.

The players took cover and were not hit. At that stage, police officers arrived on the scene and arrested the man.

Magen David Adom paramedics attempted to revive the casualties but were not successful, and pronounced them dead shortly afterwards.

A media ban prevents the publication of further details from the investigation. The identities of the victims and the gunman’s name have not yet been released.

The Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court extended the suspect’s custody by 10 days on Friday morning.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night