'Israeli, girlfriend kidnapped in Sinai to be freed'

Egyptian sources say security agencies contacting kidnappers to try to secure pair's release; criminal motive suspected.

By REUTERS
March 22, 2013 14:11
1 minute read.
Amir Hassan, an Israeli Arab student from Nazareth, kidnapped in Sinai March 22, 2013.

Israeli kidnapped in Sinai 370. (photo credit: nsrawy.net)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Egyptian security sources said on Friday that the two tourists held hostage in Sinai are to be freed in the coming hours.

The two have been identified as Amir Hassan, a 23-year-old Israeli Arab from Nazareth who studies at Ben Gurion University in Beersheva, and his Norwegian girlfriend Ilgo Phillip, aged 32.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Masked gunmen in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula kidnapped the couple traveling between two coastal resorts, Egyptian and Israeli officials said on Friday.

The pair was traveling in a car between Taba, near the Israeli border, and Dahab, a sea resort further south when Bedouin gunmen in a pickup truck captured them, Egyptian security sources said.

Egyptian security agencies were contacting the kidnappers to try to secure the pair's release, the sources said.

Security in the Sinai desert region has deteriorated since the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak two years ago.

It did not appear that the Israeli had been targeted because of his nationality, two Israeli officials in Jerusalem said.



"Our initial assessment is that this was criminally motivated," one said.

Bedouin kidnappers have captured tourists in the past to push for the release of fellow tribesmen from jail. Earlier this month kidnappers briefly seized the country boss of US oil major ExxonMobil and his wife.

Bedouin have attacked police stations, blocked access to towns and taken hostages to show their discontent with what they see as their poor treatment by Cairo.

Two American female tourists were kidnapped in Sinai in February last year but Egyptian authorities negotiated their release a few hours later. Two other US tourists were seized in late May that year, and two more US tourists in July. The captives were released within days in both cases.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD