Police arrest 5th man in deadly Netanya hit-and-run

Suspect believed to have been sitting next to Baraby when the three women were killed in accident.

August 24, 2012 00:57
1 minute read.
Shushan Baraby, suspected of hit-and-run in court

Shushan Baraby in court 370. (photo credit: Ben Hartman)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Arrests continue to stack up in the wake of the hit-and- run accident that left three pedestrians dead in Netanya last Friday.

Police brought in a fifth suspect on Thursday they believe may have been sitting next to the car’s owner, Shushan Baraby, when the three women were killed.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court extended by five days the remand of Oren Hanunah, who was arrested on Thursday morning, after the police investigation led them to suspect that he may have been in the car with Baraby.

Netanya police would not say whether they think Hanunah may have been at the wheel, but from the beginning they have focused on the likelihood that Baraby was driving.

Two other men in the case were arrested on Wednesday.

The court also extended by six days the remand of Yochai Glicksman, who worked for Baraby at his restaurant in Netanya.

Glicksman turned himself in to police shortly after the accident on Saturday and told police he was the driver before recanting.

Witnesses reported seeing two men driving in the car and then fleeing the scene of the crash, and if Hanunah was in the car with Baraby, it could lend credence to the claim made by Glicksman wife that he was at home at the time of the accident and was strong-armed by Baraby into turning himself in and taking the fall for the deadly accident.

On Monday night, police arrested Baraby in a raid on a warehouse in Netanya where he reportedly had hidden for three days.

The Petah Tikva Magistrate’s Court extended Baraby’s remand by nine days instead of the 14 that police requested. After reviewing the case against Baraby the judge said the investigation still has a long way to go before being complete.

Baraby insisted that he was not driving at the time of the accident, and called on the police to find the driver.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night