Screw pulled safely from child’s stomach

After toddler swallowed 3.5 centimeter-long screw he found while playing, doctor pulls it out through his esophagus and throat.

By
October 2, 2011 23:55
Screw inside toddler's body

x ray of screw inside toddler's body. (photo credit: Schneider Children’s Medical Center)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A sharp, 3.5 centimeter-long screw swallowed by a toddler, which could have punctured his stomach and other organs, was removed in emergency procedure under general anesthesia on Sunday at Schneider Children’s Medical Center in Petah Tikva.

The three-year-old boy had found the piece of metal while playing. Dr. Noam Zavit, a senior gastroenterologist at the hospital, said if it had not been removed rapidly and with much care and skill, it could have caused hemorrhaging and other serious complications.


The boy’s older brother alerted their parents that the screw had been swallowed. Rushed to the hospital, the toddler was examined by Zavit, who used a tiny “basket” to pick up the screw and pull it out through the esophagus and throat.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Just two months ago, the same team pulled an open safety pin from the throat of an 11-month-old baby.

“It is fortunate that this three-year-old did not suffer long-term damage,” he concluded.

Related Content

Riot
August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night

By DANIEL K. EISENBUD