Second Itamar murderer sentenced to 5 life terms

2 Palestinians with bombs caught en route to court.

January 17, 2012 02:49
2 minute read.
Hakem and Amjad Awwad

Suspects in Fogel, Itamar massacre_311. (photo credit: Courtesy)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Samaria District Military Court on Monday sentenced Amjad Awad, one of two cousins convicted of brutally murdering five Fogel family members in the Itamar settlement last March, to five life terms and seven years in prison.

Awad and Hakim Awad, entered the home of the Fogels, stabbing and shooting to death parents Udi and Ruth, and killing three of their children: Elad, 11, Yoav, 4, and four-month-old Hadas.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

IDF: 2 Palestinians arrested in Fogel family massacre
Second man accused in Itamar massacre on trial
'Itamar massacre' killer, Hakim Awad, convicted

Hakim, 18, received his sentence in September, when the same court sentenced him to five life sentences and five years in prison.

The defendants confessed to stabbing and shooting the Fogels after they broke into Itamar, which is adjacent to their village, Awarta.

Both places are near Nablus.

“I don’t regret what I did, and would do it again,” Amjad Awad said in May.

“I’m proud of what I did and I’ll accept any punishment I get, even death, because I did it all for Palestine.”

Also on Monday, border police intercepted two Palestinians carrying 11 pipe bombs who were likely on their way to carry out an attack at the court where Awad was being sentenced.

The suspects, both in their 20s, were trying to cross the Salim checkpoint near Jenin, when their nervous conduct aroused the suspicions of a veteran officer.

“They were placed in a bomb-proof examination hut for a search, but did not cooperate,” Border Police spokesman Supt. Shai Hakimi told The Jerusalem Post.

Security personnel became even more suspicious and declared a “situation bell,” which is code for a strip search of suspects thought to be carrying weapons. The search revealed 11 pipe bombs, a homemade gun and ammunition.

The suspects were arrested, and the explosives were detonated in a controlled explosion by Border Police bomb squad officers. Last week, Palestinians tried to cross the same checkpoint with pipe bombs, and were apprehended by the same Border Police officer.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night