Silwan: Palestinian teen hurt in 'Nakba Day' protest dies

Police investigating who shot 17-year-old during violent clashes in east Jerusalem; hospital official says teenager shot in stomach; security forces on high alert as further clashes expected in capital.

May 14, 2011 11:33
1 minute read.
Arab throws back tear gas canister in Silwan

Palestinian throws back tear gas canister Silwan 311 (R). (photo credit: REUTERS/Nir Elias)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The 17-year-old Palestinian youth who was injured during "Nakba day" disturbances in east Jerusalem on Friday died early on Saturday, Palestinian medical sources at the Makassed hospital in east Jerusalem said. An official at the hospital said the teenager had been shot in the stomach.

The Israel Police said it requested permission to carry out an autopsy on the body, but the request was refused.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

IDF on Lebanon alert for Nakba Day demonstrations
Security and Defense: Bracing for mass protests

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the youth was treated for a shoulder injury on Friday night, and that his condition deteriorated over night.

"It's not clear what the injuries were, and how he sustained them. An investigation is underway," Rosenfeld said.

During Friday's disturbances, police fired stun grenades and tear gas to disperse rioters.

Police on Saturday approved a funeral march from Ras al-Amud to Silwan in east Jerusalem, and will maintain a heavy presence along the route to allow for the procession, and to prevent disturbances from breaking out afterwards, Rosenfeld added.

Jerusalem police and Border Police units are heavily deployed in east Jerusalem, and are on stand by for the possibility of further rioting, Rosenfeld said.

On Friday, four police officers and up to 11 Palestinians were injured throughout east Jerusalem during demonstrations that broke out.

Thirty-four people were arrested for disturbing the peace and intending to use Molotov cocktails, police said.

According to police, four police and Border Police officers were injured from stones thrown at them in several eastern neighborhoods of the city, including Silwan, Issawiya, Ras al-Amud, Shuafat and at the Kalandia checkpoint. One officer was evacuated to hospital for treatment while the others were treated on the scene. All were listed in light condition.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night