Five killed, 11 injured in Acre building collapse

8-year-old's body found hours after collapse; gas leak is suspected cause of explosion, but police probing possibility of foul play.

February 17, 2014 10:26
1 minute read.

Building collapse rubble in Acre. (photo credit: IDF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Video courtesy

Five people were killed and 11 others were injured in the collapse of a building caused by an explosion in the old city of Acre in northern Israel early Monday morning.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

An initial investigation found that a gas leak caused the explosion, however police were investigating the possibility of foul play.

The victims of the collapse were a couple, Rayik Sarhan, 40, Janach Sarhan, 35 and their eight-year-old son Nassar a-Din. Their 10-year-old daughter was lightly injured in the incident.

The second couple killed were Muhammad Bader, 43, and Hannan Bader, 39.

Khaled Bader, whose brother was killed in the collapse, claimed that the incident was not an accident and called on police to find the truth behind the cause of the blast.

"There was a murder here. We were threatened that the building would be blown up," Bader said, hours after the explosion. "They threatened us for a long time. My brother was a simple man who never had trouble with the law. And the people who have lately been threatening us caused this terrible murder."

Bader called on the police not to believe that the explosion was the result of a gas leak. He said that, following the funerals for the victims, he would reveal the identity of those who had been issuing threats prior to the tragedy.

Last month, a family of three was killed when a massive explosion ravaged a Jerusalem apartment minutes after the technician reportedly claimed he fixed a leak.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night