US tourist raped at Jaffa flea market, police say

Twenty-five year old American girl raped in middle of afternoon in store at market; two suspects arrested.

June 27, 2013 12:49
1 minute read.
A woman shops at the flea market in Jaffa, just south of Tel Aviv June 3, 2009.

Jaffa flea market. (photo credit: REUTERS/Gil Cohen Magen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 25-year-old tourist from the US was sexually assaulted in the middle of the afternoon at a store in the Jaffa flea market this week, Yiftach subdistrict police said on Thursday.

The woman came to the flea market on Monday afternoon – when it is typically full of visitors – and entered a store, where the owner brought her into a corner of the store and assaulted her, while threatening her, she told police. The man then brought her to the store next door, where he and a man working there sexually assaulted her, police said Thursday.

The two suspects, a 38-yearold Ra’anana man and a 44- year-old man from Holon, were arrested on Wednesday.

The remands of both men were extended by four days on Thursday by the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court. The Ra’anana man is reportedly a religious father of four, but both men’s identities are covered under a court-issued gag order.

The attorney for the first suspect said that the act was consensual, and that he told him that after the alleged assault, the woman kissed him on the cheek and thanked him. The attorney also asked why, if it was a sexual assault, did she not cry out for help while being taken to the second store, which required walking past six other stores on a street full of shoppers.

In court on Thursday, police said that the woman issued a police complaint the day after the sexual assault. She had spoken to relatives who live in Israel, who advised her on how to issue a complaint, they added.

The arrests of the two suspects were made the same day that the Tel Aviv District Court sentenced Ahmed Bani- Jaber of Nablus to 30 years in prison for the brutal rape of a 17-year-old girl, whom he assaulted in front of her boyfriend in the Gan Ha’ir mall parking lot next to Tel Aviv City Hall in May 2012.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night