Report: Doctor took 'selfie' with Joan Rivers during procedure before her death

Source close to brazen comedian's death investigation says Rivers suffered cardiac arrest while physician performed unauthorized biopsy.

September 17, 2014 15:41
1 minute read.
Joan Rivers in 2010

Joan Rivers in 2010. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A doctor who was performing an allegedly unauthorized biopsy on Joan Rivers in late August shorty before her death, took a "selfie" with the brazen comedian while she was under anesthesia, CNN reported a source close to the death probe as saying.

A doctor, whose name has not been publicly released, snapped the image amid the procedure on the 81-year-old's vocal cords during which she suffered cardiac arrest preceding her death, an employee at Manhattan's Yorkville Endoscopy clinic told investigators.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

CNN cited the hospital source as saying Rivers was present at the facility for an endoscopy by another doctor to help diagnose her symptoms, including a hoarse voice and sore throat.

Following the procedure conducted by gastroenterologist Dr. Lawrence Cohen, a biopsy was conducted by Rivers's personal ear-nose-and throat physician. Also according to the source, the specialist was not certified by the clinic to perform the procedure and did not have Rivers's prior consent to carry it out.

According to the report, investigators think that the cardiac arrest was triggered when the flow of oxygen to Rivers's lungs was cut off after her vocal chords started to swell during the biopsy.

After she stopped breathing, paramedics rushed Rivers to New York's Mount Sinai Hospital, where she was put on life support and died a week later on September 4.

Related Content

Jerusalem Post News
August 5, 2018
This week in 60 seconds: Ahed Tamimi released from prison