IAF bombs 30 targets in Gaza, renews operations to destroy Hamas infrastructure

"Hamas ignored truce, we have resumed attacks," OC southern command says, adding that IDF has not activated its full range of capabilities.

By
July 15, 2014 17:51
1 minute read.
Operation Protective Edge

IAF strikes Gaza. (photo credit: PALESTINIAN MEDIA)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

After Hamas rejected an Egyptian-initiated ceasefire proposal and continued to rain rockets throughout Israel on Tuesday, the IAF carried out a devastating series of airstrikes on thirty targets throughout the Gaza Strip on Tuesday evening.

The targets included 20 underground rocket launchers which included medium-range launchers, tunnels, a facility for storing weapons, and an operations base used by senior Islamic Jihad members.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


In addition, the IDF struck a terrorist in northern Gaza who was in the last stage of preparing a rocket attack on Israel, the military said.

Speaking earlier on Tuesday  about the IDF's move to resume the fight against terror organizations in Gaza, OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Sami Turgeman said, "The cabinet took a decision to hold [our] fire. In light of the continuation of rocket fire by Hamas and other terror organizations, we are working as we have done in recent days - with force and against the components of Hamas's operational infrastructure."

"Hamas launched this operation and brought significant damage on all of its operational infrastructures," Turgeman added. During the operation, Hamas failed to surprise Israel from the air, land, or sea, he stated.

The IDF targeted homes of senior Hamas leaders and field commanders that acted as war rooms and weapons storage facilities Turgerman said.

"Hamas's flagship project - the attack tunnels - has been exposed, and we succeeded in disrupting its will and ability to carry out an underground attack," Turgeman added.



"We have not activated all of our capabilities. We have additional capabilities and plans. If we are required to activate them, we will do so with full force," he vowed. "Our job as the military is to supply to the government and general staff all of the operations that can and should be taken. The Southern Command, along with other bodies, built these plans and capabilities," he said.

A ground offensive is one of a set of plans, Turgeman said, adding, "I don't think it's right to declare what we are about to do. We will continue to follow what is happening on the ground, and we will activate plans in accordance with decisions by the government and general staff."


Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL