Five Palestinians dead, at least 30 hurt as IAF strikes terrorist targets in Gaza

Netanyahu orders IDF to respond forcefully to Hamas rocket attacks after the organization renews fighting because its demands were not met.

August 8, 2014 18:56
1 minute read.

Smoke rises following what witnesses said was an IAF air strike in the east of Gaza City.. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Five Palestinians were killed and over 30 were wounded in the Gaza Strip on Friday as the IDF renewed strikes on Hamas targets shortly before 11:00 a.m., Palestinian officials told Israel Radio.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

In the first casualties since hostilities resumed on Friday, Palestinian medical officials said a 10-year-old boy was killed in an Israeli strike near a mosque in Gaza City. An Islamic Jihad militant was killed in a later hit, local officials said.

Three Palestinians were killed in the southern Gaza town of Khan Yunis, according to Israel Radio.

The strikes come as retaliation for Hamas rocket attacks on southern Israel which broke the relative quiet of a three-day truce after it expired earlier on Friday morning.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon instructed the IDF Friday morning to respond forcefully against renewed Hamas rocket fire, senior diplomatic officials said.

The Army also stated that Israeli forces remain amassed on the Gaza border. The IDF pulled its troops out of the Gaza Strip shortly before the Cairo-brokered cease-fire was announced on Tuesday morning.

Jerusalem had hoped Hamas would agree to another 72-hour extension to allow time for Israeli and Palestinian negotiating teams in Cairo to come to an agreement that would end Operation Protective Edge, which has now entered its 32nd day.

The Home Front Command imposed renewed security restrictions on Friday on southern Israel due to the resumption in rocket fire from Gaza.

Herb Keinon contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian