Israeli delegation leaves Egypt; Gazans flee eastern neighborhoods, again

Palestinian fear Israeli airstrikes in retaliation as Hamas renews rocket fire on Israel following the end of a 3-day truce.

August 8, 2014 10:42
1 minute read.

UNRWA school damaged by fighting in Gaza. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Israeli delegation has left Egypt following the end of a 72-hour cease-fire brokered by Cairo and the renewal of hostilities by Hamas. The delegation arrived at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel shortly before the truce expired.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

A diplomatic source in Egypt said the Israeli visit had lasted nine hours, longer than the previous two visits this week.

There was no immediate comment from Egypt, which has positioned itself as mediator but has struggled to clinch a deal.

Palestinian negotiators from factions including Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Fatah left their luxury hotel in Cairo for talks with Egyptian intelligence at 9:30 p.m. on Thursday evening, returning more than six and a half hours later looking subdued and saying no deal had yet been reached.

Palestinian officials paced the lobby, speaking on their phones and holding meetings, trying to reach a final decision as the deadline approached.

Meanwhile in Gaza, some families who had returned to their homes in the northern town of Beit Hanoun during the ceasefire gathered up their belongings and headed back to the United Nations shelters where they had sought refuge over the past few weeks fearing Israeli airstrikes in retaliation for renewed rocket attacks on Israel by Hamas.


Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon instructed the IDF Friday morning to respond forcefully against renewed Hamas rocket fire, senior diplomatic officials said.

Some families in eastern Gaza, who had pitched tents near their wrecked houses, had also left the area.

Gaza officials say the war has killed 1,875 Palestinians, most of them civilians. Hamas said on Thursday it had executed an unspecified number of Palestinians as Israeli spies.

It had expended its air and naval bombardment of the Gaza Strip into a ground offensive on July 17, and pulled its infantry and armor out of the enclave on Tuesday after saying it destroyed more than 30 infiltration tunnels dug by militants.

Israel has stated repeatedly that it will not negotiate terms of a longer-term cease fire under rocket attack.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian