Only 2.7% of Israelis call Gaza op 'big success'

Poll indicates that Israelis believe Hamas was more successful than Israel in Operation Protective Edge.

By GIL STERN STERN HOFFMAN
August 6, 2014 20:46
1 minute read.
idf withdraws from gaza

IDF soldiers after returning to Israel from Gaza August 5, 2014.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

More Israelis believe Hamas emerged victorious in Operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip than think that Israel did, according to a poll published on Wednesday.

On Monday, respected pollster Mina Tzemach took a representative sample of the adult Jewish Israeli population, to which there were 512 respondents. It was sponsored by strategist Roni Rimon, who previously worked for the Likud and insisted that he initiated it out of his own curiosity.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


When asked about the results of the operation, only 2.7 percent said it was a big success for Israel and 18.6% said the results for Israel were good – totaling 21.3%.

By contrast, 10.4% called the operation in the Gaza Strip a big success for Hamas and 17.8% said the results for Hamas were good – a total of 28.2%.

Of those responding, 45.5% said the results were moderate for both sides and 5.1% said they did not know.

A poll that Rimon sponsored asked the same question on July 24 and found different numbers. At that time, more Israelis thought the results were more positive for Israel than Hamas, 24.8% to 23.6%.

“When the IDF entered Gaza with ground forces, there were expectations that Hamas would crawl and beg for a cease-fire,” Rimon said.



“Because the expectations were in the sky and were not met, a large portion of the nation was disappointed.”

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL