Fighting in Gaza continues as truce collapses

Rocket fire into Israel resumes two hours into 72-hour cease-fire; Palestinian sources report 40 killed from IDF artillery fire.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 1, 2014 12:29
1 minute read.
Gaza

An Israeli soldier sits atop a mobile artillery unit in a staging area outside the Gaza Strip. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The 72-hour cease-fire brokered by the United States and the United Nations ended just hours after it went into effect, as fighting resumed on both sides Friday morning.

Code Red sirens rang out in southern Israel around 10 a.m., just as Palestinian media reports of Israeli artillery fire began to surface.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


At least 40 people were killed in the Israeli shelling of southern Gaza since that time, according to the local hospital in Rafah.

Palestinian news agency Ma'an also reported that three other people were shot by IDF sniper fire in the southern Gaza Strip.

An IDF spokesperson said she was looking into the incidents.

Israel Radio reported that over 15 rockets and mortars had been fired into Israel since the fighting resumed, and that seven rockets had been successfully intercepted by Iron Dome.

It was not immediately clear whether the rocket fire or the shelling came first.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Both the Israeli Foreign Ministry and an unnamed Israeli official from inside the Prime Minister's Office blamed Hamas for breaking the cease-fire.

"Once again Hamas has broken its commitment to a cease-fire - a commitment made to John Kerry and the UN Secretary General," said the official.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL