Israel to continue air campaign while preparing for ground invasion of Gaza, IDF says

Army said that it had struck 60 terror targets in the Hamas-ruled enclave.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS,
July 12, 2014 08:47
3 minute read.
Gaza

An iron dome launches rockets to intercept incoming rockets from Gaza on Tuesday.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again


Israel’s air force will continue to pound targets in the Gaza Strip over the course of at least the next 24 hours, the IDF Spokesperson said on Saturday.

Brig.-Gen. Moti Almoz told Israel Radio on Saturday that there were still “many” targets in the Gaza Strip remaining. While air force sorties will continue, the army high command is simultaneously preparing for a ground incursion.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Almoz told Israel Radio that Hamas is “growing increasingly frustrated over its inability to exact casualties among Israeli civilians.” He said that the army was diligently working to avoid civilian casualties among the Palestinian population in Gaza.

Palestinian officials in the Gaza Strip said at least nine people, including two physically disabled people, were killed overnight Friday during Israeli airstrikes as Operation Protective Edge entered its fifth day.



Gaza medical officials said at least 76 civilians, including 24 children, were among 115 people killed so far in the aerial bombardments.

Health officials in Gaza reported that three people were killed in an IAF strike Saturday morning in the eastern section of Gaza City, according to Israel Radio. Before dawn Saturday, 13 Palestinians were killed in IDF strikes in Gaza, officials said.



Since the latest outbreak of hostilities between Israel and Hamas, at least 121 Palestinians in Gaza have been killed and over 900 have been wounded, according to Israel Radio.





The IDF said that it had struck 60 terror targets in the Hamas-ruled enclave. Since the operation began, Israeli aircraft have hit over 1,160 Hamas and Islamic Jihad targets in the Gaza Strip, the military said.

Israel Navy gunboats also struck Hamas targets, including a lookout point as well as a meeting point used by operatives of Hamas as well as the Popular Resistance Committees.

“Among the targets that were struck since the beginning of the operation were dozens of operational infrastructure sites belonging to senior officials from the Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist organizations who took part in carrying out many attacks and projectile fire at Israeli territory,” the army said in a communique.



An operations center housed in the Al-Faruk mosque in central Gaza, which was used to store rockets and other weapons, was struck by the IDF early on Saturday.

Ten terrorist operatives were killed in air strikes, including six involved in rocket fire on Israel, the IDF said. A launcher in south Gaza used to fire on Beersheba overnight was also destroyed.

Since Monday night, dozens of operational infrastructure sites used by senior Hamas and Islamic Jihad members have been destroyed, the IDF said.

Infrastructure used by senior Hamas member Atia Abu Nakira in south Gaza was destroyed, as well as a home used as an operations center by senior Islamic Jihad member Jihad Ghanam.



Abu Nakira has taken part in a long line of terror attacks on Israel, the IDF, including rocket attacks, tunnel bombs, anti-tank and anti-aircraft missile fire at Israeli territory. Jihad Ghanam also took part in a long line of attacks, the IDF said, including large-scale rocket attacks on Israeli territory, targeting greater Tel Aviv. Homes used as operations centers by two Hamas members, Tisir Mebasher and Mahdi Kura'a were also destroyed overnight.

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL