An iron dome launches rockets to intercept incoming rockets from Gaza on Tuesday..
(photo credit: REUTERS)
The Defense Ministry oversaw the deployment of a 10th Iron Dome anti-rocket system on Tuesday. Last week, two additional Iron Dome batteries were deployed.
The ministry’s Administration for the Development of Weapons and Technological Infrastructure said the three additional batteries will enable the protection of large areas of the country against rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip.
The deployment came ahead of schedule after engineers and technicians from Rafael Advanced Defense Systems, the chief contractor, as well as Israel Aerospace Industries’ Elta division, and mPrest Systems, a subcontractor, worked around the clock to prepare the batteries.
Israel Air Force staff, who operate the batteries, joined in the intensive effort and allowed the missile defense system to come off the production line during the operation to end rocket fire from Gaza.
“This represents an outstanding technological achievement, which is enabled by cooperation between the Defense Ministry, Israel’s defense industries, and the air force,” the ministry said.
“Your efforts, and those of your people in this operation is very impressive, and inspirational,” Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon told defense corporation executives involved in the effort last week.
“In recent days, you and your people have worked with dedication, day and night, to instantly set up more Iron Dome batteries, which will go into operation during Operation Protective Edge, and will defend the Israeli people,” he said.
Ya’alon spoke to Rafael’s chairman Yitzhak Gat and CEO Didi Ya’ari, and IAI chairman and Rafi Maor CEO Yossi Weiss.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>