Report: Hamas proposes 10-year cease-fire in return for conditions being met

Channel 2: Hamas demands release of Schalit deal prisoners who were re-arrested, the opening of Gaza border crossings.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, YASSER OKBI/ MAARIV HASHAVUA
July 16, 2014 14:07
1 minute read.
Hamas

Hamas members are seen close up during a press conference in the Gaza Strip last week.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

One day after an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire accepted by Israel, but rejected by Hamas, fell through, the terrorist organization proposed a 10-year end to hostilities in return for its conditions being met by Israel, Channel 2 reported Wednesday.

Hamas's conditions were the release of re-arrested Palestinian prisoners who were let go in the Schalit deal, the opening of Gaza-Israel border crossings in order to allow citizens and goods to pass through, and international supervision of the Gazan seaport in place of the current Israeli blockade.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Former Balad MK Azmi Bishara  presented the group's conditions on Al Jazeera on Wednesday.

Bishara, who fled Israel in 2007 after he was accused of aiding Hezbollah during the Second Lebanon War, estimated that the escalation would end within the next two days. He also accused Israel of agreeing to Tuesday's short-lived cease-fire in order to legitimize further air strikes on Gaza after Hamas rejected the plan.

He said that Palestinian factions had been in talks with international authorities who would have accepted the terms Hamas has set forth, but the Egyptian initiative, which favored Israel and ignored the goals of the "Palestinian resistance," brought all negotiations to a halt.

Bishara, who currently lives in Qatar, contended that Egypt's shared interests with Israel and conflict of interest with Hamas prevented it from being an effective negotiator.

Instead, Bishara recommended that Turkey and Qatar, along with the US and other Western powers, lead the negotiations between Hamas and Israel.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


On Tuesday, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said that the Islamist group had not received an official cease-fire proposal, and he repeated its position that demands it has made must be met before it lays down its weapons.

Hamas's armed wing, the Kassam Brigades, rejected the reported text of the truce deal, saying: "Our battle with the enemy continues and will increase in ferocity and intensity."



Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL