One of abducted Israeli teens called police: 'We've been kidnapped'

Revealed: One yeshiva student abducted Thursday night in the West Bank managed to contact police on night of kidnapping.

By
June 15, 2014 18:45
1 minute read.
landau

Missing yeshiva students (left to right) Gilad Shaar, Eyal Yifrach adn Naftali Frankel.. (photo credit: Courtesy)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again



One of the three boys kidnapped Thursday managed to tell police “We’ve been kidnapped!” but the report was still not given to security sources for hours, the military censor cleared for publication on Sunday afternoon.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The call was made to police dispatch around 10:30 p.m., but it was only as much as five hours later before security services were notified.

For the past 24 hours there has been furious criticism of police amid reports that they were notified of the suspected kidnapping but did not notify security forces, giving the kidnappers hours to flee the scene with the boys.

Israel Police has not directly responded to the report, telling reporters to speak to the Judea and Samaria police district and not the national headquarters.

On Saturday night, the Judea and Samaria district sent out a reply saying that it would neither confirm nor deny the reports that are the responsibility of the media outlets themselves.

On Sunday, Israel Police Headquarters said that there is no truth to the reports that a committee of inquiry has been opened to probe the incident, and that it would still neither confirm nor deny reports.



Israel Police Insp.-Gen. Yohanan Danino addressed the controversy for the first time on Sunday, saying that “it is our job to focus on the mission at hand – to find these youths. I heard the criticism and you know me and the Israel Police – we won’t dismiss anything that needs to be examined; we will check everything that happened and that needs to be done in a time and place that is fitting.”

Danino had been in New York until Saturday, where he had traveled to attend a conference.

Related Content

Abu Ubaida
August 28, 2014
Media are Hamas’s main strategic weapons, says visiting US historian

By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL