Beersheba held to goalless draw by Ra’anana

Two of the day’s five scheduled matches were postponed due to the storm that struck Israel in recent days.

December 15, 2013 04:51
1 minute read.
Hapoel Beersheba pulls 2-0 win over Beitar Jerusalem on Saturday night.

Hapoel Beersheba soccer. (photo credit: Adi Avishai)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Hapoel Beersheba failed to return to the top of the Premier League standings on Saturday, while two of the day’s five scheduled matches were postponed due to the storm that struck Israel in recent days.

Beersheba could only manage a 0-0 draw against Hapoel Ra’anana at Vasermil Stadium, remaining in second place, one point behind Maccabi Tel Aviv, which hosts Hapoel Tel Aviv in the derby on Monday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Maor Buzaglo registered Beersheba’s best chance of the frosty night in the 61st minute, but Ra’anana goalkeeper Gal Nir was up to the challenge and ensured his team snapped its two-match losing streak.

“We dominated Ra’anana for the entire second half, but struggled to create scoring opportunities,” said Beersheba coach Elisha Levy. “We did everything we could to win, but we didn’t make the right decisions in the final third.”

The matches between Bnei Sakhnin and Beitar Jerusalem and between Ironi Kiryat Shmona and Bnei Yehuda were postponed by the Israel Football Association on Friday night, with the IFA claiming that the police’s Northern District is busy dealing with the ramifications of the storm.

Beitar released a statement earlier Friday saying that the team will not show up for Saturday’s match as it has struggled to train in recent days.

The IFA claimed that Jerusalem’s threat was empty, but Beitar ultimately got its wish and the match was postponed to Tuesday.

The game between Kiryat Shmona and Bnei Yehuda will also take place on Tuesday.

Elsewhere Saturday, a 94th-minute equalizer by Danny Preda gave Maccabi Petah Tikva a 1-1 draw against Hapoel Haifa.

Haifa took the lead in the 51st minute through Ahad Azam.

Ashdod SC and Hapoel Acre drew 0-0 on Saturday, with floodlight failure delaying the start of the match and stopping it for 10 minutes in the first half.

On Monday, Maccabi Haifa hosts Hapoel Ramat Hasharon.

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov