Syrian treated in Israel succumbs to wounds

Syrian wounded in civil unrest admitted to Israeli hospital, dies; Israel treated about a dozen Syrians over the past week.

March 27, 2013 17:38
1 minute read.
Israeli Syrian border in the Golan Heights

Golan border Syria truck 370. (photo credit: REUTERS/Baz Ratner)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The IDF provided medical assistance to seven injured Syrians who arrived at the border with Israel on Wednesday morning, although one man suffering from a gunshot wound to the head succumbed to his wounds.

Five Syrians received treatment at the border, while two more, who required more extensive care, were taken to an Israeli hospital. The two were part of a group of seven wounded men who approached the Golan border fence earlier in the day.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The treatment was provided with the approval of IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen.

Benny Gantz.

The two critically wounded Syrian citizens were evacuated by the IDF to the Western Galilee Government Hospital in Nahariya on Wednesday afternoon.

Soon after his arrival, one man – who was shot in the head – died at the hospital after attempts to save him were made at the trauma unit.

The hospital spokesman said that the second man remains in critical condition.


Hospital director Dr. Massad Barhoom said the first man suffered a gunshot wound that entered one side of his head and exited the other, causing massive damage and bleeding. After continuous resuscitation attempts, they was nothing left to do but declare him dead. The second man too suffered from severe head trauma and was taken for a series of scans to determine his exact injuries.

Barhoom said that as the hospital is near the northern border, it is prepared, daily, to deal with such severe head injuries, especially since the recent opening of its neurosurgery unit.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night