(photo credit: REUTERS)
SINGAPORE - The United States is seriously concerned about cyber-attacks and is prepared to use force against those it considers acts of war, US Defense Secretary Robert Gates said at a security meeting in Asia on Saturday.
RELATED:Pentagon says impact of Lockheed attack 'minimal' Pentagon supplier Lockheed Martin hit by cyber incident
He also assured Asian allies that the United States would protect sea lanes and maintain a robust military presence in the region despite a severe budget crunch and the protracted wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"We take the cyber threat very seriously and we see it from a variety of sources, not just one or another country," Gates said at the annual Shangri-La Dialogue, an apparent reference to reports that several of the attacks may have originated in China.
"What would constitute an act of war by cyber that would require some kind of response, either in kind or kinetically?" he said.
"We could avoid some serious international tensions in the future if we could establish some rules of the road as early as possible to let people know what kinds of acts are acceptable, what kinds of acts are not and what kinds of acts may in fact be acts of war."
Earlier this week, Google said it had disrupted a campaign aimed at stealing passwords of hundreds of Google email account holders, including senior US government officials, Chinese activists and journalists.
It was the latest in a series of cyber attacks that have also targeted defence contractor Lockheed Martin and Sony Corp. Google said the latest breach appeared to originate in China but neither the company nor the US government has said the Chinese government was responsible.
But the US State Department has asked Beijing to investigate.
Gates said it was difficult to identify where the perpetrators of such attacks were based and added that military ties with China were improving.
But he also said the US was preparing weapons systems and capabilities
that would allow U.S. forces "to deploy, move and strike over great
distances in defence of our allies and vital interests." Although he
gave few other details, the plans could worry China, US officials
Asked whether China wouldn't see the remarks as a concern, a senior US
defence official said it was an example of the need for greater military
transparency between the two sides.
"Without transparency, we obviously have to do certain things and make
certain preparations because it's not quite clear what everybody's
intentions are," the official said. "So the more ... clear it is about
what China's military investment is aimed at, the more clear it us for
us what's going on in the region and what intentions are."
"The United States and Asia will only become more inextricably linked
over the course of this century. These realities ... argue strongly for
sustaining our commitments to allies while maintaining a robust military
engagement and deterrent posture across the Pacific Rim," he said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>