E. Jerusalem security barrier at Kalandiya 311.
(photo credit: Marc Sellem Israel/The Jerusalem Post)
The Palestinian Authority on Monday condemned the killing of two Palestinians
from Kalandiya refugee camp during a pre-dawn IDF operation and accused the
Israeli government of seeking to thwart its statehood bid at the United
RELATED:Kalandiya: 3 arrested in clashes between protesters, IDFPalestinians say 2 killed in IDF raid on Kalandiya camp
Hamas urged the PA to stop chasing “resistance fighters” in the
West Bank so that it could “resume its role in defending
Nabil Abu Rudaineh, a spokesman for PA President Mahmoud
Abbas, accused Israel of attempting to “create an atmosphere of escalation
before September,” when the PA is scheduled to ask the United Nations to
recognize a Palestinian state along the pre-1967 lines.
Abu Rudaineh also
condemned “continued settler assaults” against Palestinians and their
The two victims were identified as Ali Khalifa, 27, and
Mutasem Adwan, 22.
Khalifa was a member of the PA’s Military Intelligence
Apparatus in the West Bank.
The two men were killed during a routine IDF
operation to arrest suspects in the refugee camp north of Jerusalem. The
soldiers who entered the camp were pelted with stones and bottles, the army
Sources in the camp said that Ma’moun Awad, 24, was shot and
seriously wounded during the operation. Another two Palestinians, Wajeeh
al-Khatib and Anas Manasra, were detained by IDF soldiers, the sources
The PA, meanwhile, said it was still working on the wording of its
application to the UN for statehood recognition.
The IDF said that the
Central Command was investigating the incident.
Military sources said
that troops from the Kfir Brigade were attacked during a raid in the refugee
camp by a violent mob after they entered the camp to arrest two terror
Five soldiers were injured in the clashes and one was evacuated
to a hospital in Jerusalem.
The PA is facing immense pressure from the US
and Israel to abandon its plan to go to the UN in September, Wasel Abu Yusef, a
member of the PLO Executive Committee, said on Monday.
Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Monday denied reports in the London based Asharq
al-Awsat newspaper that he scuttled a meeting last week in Amman between
President Shimon Peres and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas because
he did not give Peres any new message to convey.
Netanyahu, asked about
the report in the Knesset’s Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, said the
report was “incorrect.” He said he worked in “full coordination” with Peres,
with “transparency and understanding.”Previous meetings and conversations Peres
has had with Abbas have been with his okay and knowledge, the prime minister
Peres reportedly held a detailed meeting last week with Palestinian
negotiator Saeb Erekat to look for a formula that would forestall the
Palestinian statehood recognition bid at the UN in September.Lahav
Harkov contributed to this report.