Saleh makes first appearance since attack

Despite burns to his face and arms from a recent assassination attempt, Yemen's president Ali Abdullah Saleh still seeking to hold onto power.

By REUTERS
July 8, 2011 11:46
1 minute read.
Yemen's Saleh addresses the nation, Thurs.

saleh appearance_311. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh's made his first public appearance on Thursday since an assassination attempt on him last month.

Burns covered his face and his arms and hands are reportedly in bandages but Saleh, who has been recovering in Saudi Arabia, isn't ready to give up power -- despite six months of protests seeking his removal.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"We welcome the sharing within the framework of the constitution and in the framework of the law, we welcome power sharing in the framework of the constitution of Yemen, which allows for multiplicity of parties and politics and allows for the freedom of opinion," Saleh said during address on Yemen TV Thursday.

He also discussed the bomb attack on his compound.

"Yes I had a number of operations, more than eight successful operations, to recover from burns caused by the accident, they include eight successful operations. A number of officials also underwent operations including the leader of parliament, the prime minister, the deputy prime minister and Rashad al Alimi, the mayor of Sanaa. More then 87 people affected by this incident, underwent surgery," Saleh said.

Many diplomats say it is unlikely that Saleh will be able to return to Yemen where the movement against him has only intensified.

Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan

By REUTERS