Man killed in stabbing attack in Jerusalem’s Old City

Doctors at Shaare Zedek hospital tried to stabilize him into the late evening, after which they announced "with deep regret" that he died as a result of the stabbing wounds.

Adiel Kolman, a 32-year old Israeli, was seriously wounded Sunday afternoon in Jerusalem’s Old City by a Palestinian terrorist who repeatedly stabbed him. On Sunday night Shaare Zedek hospital reported that Kolman had succumbed to his wounds, despite the hospital team's resuscitation efforts.
Kolman, a married father of four, was from the West Bank settlement of Kokhav HaShahar
The stabber was shot and killed by a nearby police officer.
Emergency services rush the victim of a March 18, 2018 stabbing attack in Jerusalem to the hospital (Reuters)
First responders who rushed to the scene at Hagai Street in the Muslim Quarter, not far from one of the entries to the Temple Mount, treated Kolman’s wounds to his upper body. He was then taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center, where he was operated on. Doctors tried to stabilize him into the late evening, after which they announced "with deep regret" that he died as a result of the stabbing wounds.
Magen David Adom paramedic Ilana Abrahams, who treated the Kolman, said: “Near Lions Gate, we met the MDA dune buggy with the wounded 30-year-old, who was suffering from stab wounds to his upper body. We treated him, stopped the bleeding, gave fluids and medications and evacuated him to the hospital in critical condition. The hospital team was waiting for us and continued to fight for his life.”
The assailant was identified as a 28-year-old Palestinian from the village of Akraba, near Nablus, who had an identity card to legally enter Jerusalem, according to reports.
Police Dep.-Ch. Haim Shmueli said the police are currently checking the stabber’s background and the circumstances that allowed him to carry out the attack in the heavily guarded Old City.
“We are examining how he arrived here, how he got in, and we are checking anything needed to understand what happened after a relatively long and quiet period in Jerusalem,” he said.
The police launched an investigation into the incident and imposed a gag order on all of its details.
The attack occurred amid an uptick of Palestinian violence directed at Israelis over the last three days. Two soldiers were killed Friday afternoon in a car-ramming attack outside the Mevo Dotan settlement. Three improvised explosive devices were detonated along the Gaza border fence since Thursday.
On Saturday night, the IDF destroyed two Hamas tunnels, including one that crossed into Israeli territory.
Although the events have taken place around the 100-day anniversary of US President Donald Trump’s declaration of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, security officials are considering whether the violence represents a concerted effort to shake up the country prior to the Passover holiday, according to media reports Sunday night.
According to former senior IDF intelligence official Yossi Kuperwasser, the increased violence has been incited by Palestinian leaders who aim to “make the impression that Trump’s moves did not go without a reaction.”
Following the Jerusalem attack, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said: “I praise the police officer who quickly responded, killed the attacker and prevented more casualties. The Israel Police will keep acting against the terrorists, who are incited by the Palestinian Authority, throughout the country,” he said.
Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat praised the police’s quick response, saying: “The enemies of Israel are constantly trying to harm soldiers, policemen, security guards and citizens, and that is because of the severe incitement that they are subjected to by the PA.”
“The only answer to it is an uncompromising fight against terrorism and at the same time to develop and build in united Jerusalem,” he said. “I am asking all the citizens to continue with their day-to-day lives, be aware of their surroundings and be in touch with the security forces if needed to prevent more terrorist activities.”
In December, a 24-year-old Palestinian stabbed a security guard at the Jerusalem Central Bus Station. That attack was in response to Trump’s Jerusalem declaration.
The indictment against the stabber, Yasin Abu al-Qur’a, that was filed later that month, said: “The accused resented the declaration and decided to carry out a stabbing attack to murder Jews in Jerusalem. This, he claimed, was to defend Jerusalem and the Aksa Mosque. The accused planned to stab as many Jews as possible until he [himself] was killed and thus become a shahid [martyr].”
Anna Ahronheim and The Media Line contributed to this report.