He stressed that the justification for anti-Semitism have been changing in the course of history. After the adversaries of the State of Israel realized it cannot be defeated militarily, the justification for Anti-Semitism has shifted again – from blaming the Jews to blaming the State of Israel. Bernard-Henri Levy said t
Thus, the justification for anti-Semitism is changing but the anti-Semitism itself is unchangeable. If it is so, the “officially” proclaimed reasons for anti-Semitism are just a “fig leaf”, and something else is the true hidden reason. What may it be, and why it is so stable that it has not passed away in the course of history?
Our Jewish answer is confused and can be summarized in the following way: we are good people like everybody else and we don’t see any justification for anti-Semitism and the hate against us the Jews; we are asking the others to fight anti-Semitism since we can do nothing on our own.
However the others – whose who don’t like us the Jews – know what is the reason for their disliking. One of them, a famous intellectual De Man, defined it clearly and precisely as can be seen in
Thus De Man representing the “western intellectuals” described the roots on intellectual anti-Semitism in the following way:
- The Jews are a foreign force, a sort of “Fifth column” in Western Civilization
- The Jews are interfering in all aspects of European life
- The Jews should be expelled from Europe into an isolated colony (It looks like a Jewish state in Palestine might be a perfect solution for the pre-WWII “western intellectuals”).
That is a true spiritual faith of European anti-Semites. If it is a spiritual faith, you cannot fight it by denouncing it – you should fight it by defending and promoting your own faith.
We the Jews together with good Christians, and these days there are many of them, have to fight anti-Semitism by defending and promoting in all available public forums the following faith-based principles:
- We the Jews are not a foreign force in Western Civilization – we the Jews are the very foundation of Western Civilization. The moral/spiritual principles of this civilization are the moral/spiritual principles of the Torah (Bible) originated at the Mount Sinai over three millenniums ago.
- We the Jews are indeed interfering in all aspects of European (and not only European) life – but not for corrupting it but for preserving and advancing the moral/spiritual foundation of Western civilization.
- Yes, after WWII many of us were “expelled” into the newly created State of Israel – but we are there not for the purpose of isolating ourselves from Western Civilization – we are there for the purpose of defending and advancing Western Civilization.
Our leaders have to do all that! Sadly, they are not doing all that yet as was evident after recent numerous anti-Semitic assaults in Europe.