BREAKING NEWS

Australia police investigate ISIS claim of responsibility for Melbourne attack

SYDNEY - Australian police said on Tuesday they are investigating a claim made by Islamic State that one of its fighters was the gunman responsible for a hostage situation in Melbourne on Monday.
"We are aware of it, but it's forming part of the investigation," Victoria state police spokeswoman Natalie Savino said.
Victoria state police on Monday shot dead the gunman in the city of Melbourne who had been holding a woman hostage. Islamic State said on Monday the attack was launched because of Australia's membership in a US-led coalition against the militant group.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use and privacy policy

Read all Tweets >