BEIJING - The death toll from two earthquakes in China's western Gansu province has climbed to 89, with more than 500 people severely injured, after 1,200 buildings collapsed and tens of thousands more were badly damaged, said the official Xinhua news agency.
The quakes hit eight towns in the remote and mountainous Minxian and Zhangxian counties, about 170 km (105 miles) southeast of the provincial capital of Lanzhou, from 7:45 a.m. on Monday (2345 GMT Sunday), Xinhua said.
The US Geological Survey reported two earthquakes, the first at a 5.9 magnitude and a strong aftershock about an hour and a half later at a 5.6 magnitude. Chinese authorities reported the first quake was a 6.6 magnitude.
Xinhua said that by Monday evening 422 aftershocks had been recorded, with the strongest measuring 5.6 in magnitude, citing Chang Zhengguo, a spokesman for the Gansu provincial government.